18 and older
Our Cooking Lab classes teach the basic science and techniques all cooks need to know, and will teach you to understand the causes and effects of your actions in the kitchen. We examine various cooking methods and ingredients to discover parallels that will amaze you. Your view of cooking may well be transformed!
In today's class, we'll teach you all about the specific tools, techniques and canning ingredients so you have a solid understanding of how to properly "put up" this summer's fruits and veggies to enjoy them for months to come. Gain the knowledge to work with different types of pectin, how to prepare your mason jars and how to safely can in a water bath.
Once you get started you won't be able to stop! These make wonderful gifts for family and friends, or keep them for yourself! Each student will take home at least one jar of each recipe.
- Dill Pickle Spears
- Peach-Vanilla Jam
- Red and Green Hot Pepper Jelly
- Roasted Poblano and Fresh Tomato Salsa.
A variety of snacks will be provided so you can taste your way throughout the class.Skills Covered in Class Include:
Due to the layout of our kitchens and in consideration of your classmates, students will work in groups of 3 to 5 people. Parties of 6 or more will be directed to our private events department so we can accommodate them appropriately.
- Understanding Canning and Pickling
- Selecting Produce for Canning
- Preparing Pickling Brines
- Balancing Flavors
- Working with Pectin
- Using Herbs, Spices and Aromatic Ingredients.
- Please note that upon purchase, your email address may be shared with The Chopping Block, and you will be receiving class and/or marketing information from the provider.
- Also note that by purchasing seats for classes at The Chopping Block you are authorizing CourseHorse to charge your card if you order additional drinks and do not pay for them at the time of the class.