18 and older
We all know there's no better accompaniment to a dish than a well-made sauce. We'll take you on a journey teaching you how time-honored and modern sauce-making techniques are actually very approachable and will inspire confidence in your very own culinary skills.
We'll teach you how to conquer all things sauce-related in this comprehensive, hands-on sauce class. Tasting-size portions of meat, vegetables and starch will accompany the sauces. Menu:
Skills Covered in Class Include:
- Homemade Poultry Stock
- Bordelaise (Red Wine and Veal Demi-Glace Reduction) and Béarnaise (Champagne Vinegar, Tarragon and Butter Emulsion) with Sautéed Strip Steaks
- Mustard Vinaigrette with Poached Leeks
- Macaroni and Cheese with Homemade Béchamel
- Sauce Bigarade (Orange Gastrique) with Sautéed Duck Breast
- Romesco (Roasted Pepper, Tomato, Garlic and Olive Oil) with Roasted Spring Onions
- Sauce Cardinale (Shellfish Stock and Cream) with Fresh Lobster
- Uni Butter with Steamed Mussels
- Homemade Mayonnaise
Due to the layout of our kitchens and in consideration of your classmates, students will work in groups of 3 to 4 people.
- Understanding the Mother Sauces
- Building Poultry and Shellfish Stocks
- Preparing Reductions
- Making Hot and Cold Emulsions
- Working with Fresh Herbs
- Making Vinaigrette
- Balancing Flavors
- Using Mustard to Emulsify
- Preparing Roux and Béchamel
- Caramelizing Sugar
- Roasting Peppers and Blanching Tomatoes
- Using Nuts and Bread as a Thickener
- Making Compound Butter
- Mounting a Sauce with Butter
- Please note that upon purchase, your email address may be shared with The Chopping Block, and you will be receiving class and/or marketing information from the provider.
- Also note that by purchasing seats for classes at The Chopping Block you are authorizing CourseHorse to charge your card if you order additional drinks and do not pay for them at the time of the class.