18 and older
HTML and CSS are the fundamental building blocks of the web. Whether you're a beginner who wants to get started in web development, a designer looking to hand-code their concepts, or a marketer who wants a little more control over their CMS, you'll need to know HTML and CSS to get the job done.
This one day workshop is the quickest way to get started building websites. You will dive head first into HTML and CSS, skill up with live coding exercises, and by the end of the day you'll have a working web page to call your own.Takeaways:
Prereqs & Preparation:
- Basics of the internet and how webpages work
- Syntax of HTML and CSS
- Building common types of websites including landing pages and marketing sites
- Principles of front-end code organisation and project structure
- How to get your website live on the internet
- Build a basic web page from scratch
- Modify the code of existing websites
- Deploy a website to the internet
This workshop is for beginners, no coding experience required, if you know how to create a folder and open a document, you know enough to take this class! Basic HTML experience may be helpful, but is not necessary.
Bring along a laptop and please install the following free software before class: Sublime Text 2
and Google Chrome
If you'd like a bit of a head start, check out Code Academy's HTML & CSS for Beginners
: (Complete as much of the basics #1 and #2 as you can). Again, it's optional but it may give you some extra perspective.
For students enrolling in 12 week part time and immersive classes, it is not recommended that you book more than one class simultaneously.